This is something I remember Mom making during the summers when there was always an abundance of fresh vegetables and fruit at the Vonada household. Here in DC I have to go to the farmer’s market if I’m going to make this because the tomatoes sold there have a MUCH better flavor. Anyway, it’s a simple dish and I LOVE IT! 🙂
2-3 zucchini or yellow squash or a mix, chunked
1 med onion, thinly sliced
2-3 tomatoes (depends on the size), chunked
1 c corn
1/2 c cheddar cheese (cubed or shredded…I prefer cubed so you get a “pocket” of cheese)
salt, pepper, oregano to taste
1/2 c bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350*. Spray a 2 qt casserole dish with cooking spray.
Saute zucchini/squash and onions w/ 1 T olive oil over medium heat. When cooked, mix with the tomatoes, corn, cheese and spices.
Dump into the casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
So after the last post, I ended up going back to Harris Teeter 2 more times.
In all I got:
4 Starbucks Frappuccinos
2 Kashi cereals
2 Large Chinet Plates
2 Small Chinet Plates
3 Ortega Seasonings
2 Campbells Soups
2 Airwick Room Sprays
2 Wonka Candy Bars
1 Carefree Liners
2 DiGornio Pizzas
2 Kraft 100 Cal Cheese Packs
2 Deli Creation Lunches
2 Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon
1 Reynolds Foil
1 Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
1 Ortega Refried Beans
2 Hidden Valley Ranch
4 KC Barbecue Sauces
1 Ghiardelli Chocolate
1 Oxi Clean Max Power
1 Ideal Sweetener Packets
1 Wholly Guacamole
2 Tony’s Pizzas
2 Mystic Pizzas
2 Jimmy Dean Roll Sausages
1 Kraft Homestyle Deluxe
1 Dole Fruit Crisp
1 Ritz Crackerfuls
1 100 Cal Lance Crackers
1 Lance Cracker Wafers
2 Hanover Sourdough Pretzels
1 Angus Meat Pack
1 Chunk Crab
2 Breyers Ice Cream
1 Nestle Choc Chunk Cookie
1 Sargent Shredded Cheese
1 Fiber One Yogurt multipack
1 Pack Oscar Mayer Lunch meat
In the end, I paid a grand total of……wait for it…..$35.58!!! Say what???? Without coupons or Vic discounts, I would have paid $187.36. That is equivalent to 81% savings. Or 56 cents per item.
We order pizza on the weekends somewhat frequently and just doing that twice would have cost us $35. I definitely think it was worth the time and effort collecting the coupons to do this!
So Harris Teeter is doubling all coupons up to $1.98 face value. Pretty awesome, huh?
Last night I went and scored some great deals.
Everything in that picture? I paid $6.12 total for.
2 Starbucks Vanilla Frapuccinos
1 Kashi Strawberry Organic Promise
2 Wheatables Nut
2 Chinet Plates
2 Ortega Seasonings
2 Campbells Soups
2 Airwick Spray
2 Wonka Bars
1 Carefree Liners
2 Digornio Deep Dish
1 Kraft 100 Cal Cheese
2 OM Deli Creations
1 OM Turkey Bacon
Not bad, not bad at all. 🙂
Red Chile Chicken with Rice and Beans (no, I am not the world's neatest cook!)
Some time within the last month I made this recipe from Mel’s Kitchen. I don’t think I changed it too much except I added a little less chili powder (I can’t handle the heat, haha) and I used a regular yellow onion instead of green onions.
Review: Four thumbs up. Elvis loved it. I loved it. It was fast and easy to make – only required one pan and it’s fairly healthy (until you dump sour cream on it).
I also decided that I will try to take pictures of the different foods I make since Elvis never remembers what was what…maybe I’ll make him a visual menu for dinners! 🙂
"Better than Chipotle" burritos
Last night I used similar ingredients to make Chicken Burritos. I used some fajita seasoning that I picked up at Harris Teeter (more info in next post) and broiled chicken breasts. When they were mostly cooked, I cut them into strips and added some onion and green pepper slices to the tray along with more seasoning and cooked for a few more minutes.
To the wrap, I added rice (cooked with Goya Saffron seasoning and cilantro added at the very end), black beans (seasoned with garlic and cumin), the chicken/onion/green pepper mixture, then salsa and sour cream. DELICIOUS! Not healthy at all, but very tasty. Elvis said it was better than Chipotle.
Just saw this post on someone else’s blog. Interesting questions to think about.
Let’s see. Since my last post:
1) Tina and Sarah came to visit for a weekend. We went to the aquarium in DC (small, but entertaining) and hung around the house, basically had fun seeing each other for the first time in a long time!
2) Spent another week at work.
3) Mom, Dad and Philip came to visit for Mother’s Day. We went to the National Zoo on Saturday, had a cookout at Buddy Attick Park on Sunday and played Mario Kart in the time in between. Twas fun.
4) Had a recipe fail! I have been trying so many different recipes that Elvis says he doesn’t think he has eaten the same thing twice when I’m cooking since the wedding. Everything we had tried up to last week we enjoyed, but then came the Shrimp Enchilada Bake. I made my own green enchilada sauce which was part of the problem because I ended up with too much cinnamon in it. But the combination of shrimp, refried beans and corn wasn’t as spectacular as the reviews on the recipe made it out to be. I actually opted to throw the rest of it out and eat out for lunch the next day!
5) Had a win, too! This isn’t exactly what I would call a recipe, but I took a box of Devil’s Food cake mix and instead of adding in the eggs and oil the box calls for, I added in 1.5 cups of Diet Dr. Pepper, then baked it as cupcakes as the box directed. They turned out really fluffy (maybe I should have baked them longer), but delicious! Plus only about 100 calories/cupcake. That just means you can eat more without feeling too guilty, haha!
Now I’m back at work working on planning a workshop that I’m not going to (a boo and a yay at the same time, but you’ll have to wait for another 2 weeks to find out why). No, I’m not pregnant.
Alrighty, back to work I go.
HT Trip #2
I took another trip to Harris Teeter last night after printing all of the internet printable coupons I could find… Total cost of everything above: $14.49.
Here’s what I got:
Item Original $ Coupon Discount Final Price
Mission Tortillas x2 $3.98 0.75×6 0.98 free
HT Salsa $2.99 free with purchase of 2 Mission products
HT Wheat Bread $2.00 $2.00 free
Skinny Water 16oz x2 $2.70 0.50×6 free
Dole Fruit Crisp $2.29 0.75 x3 $0.04
Wacky Mac Spiral Pasta x2 $3.18 0.50 x6 $0.18 for two or 9 cents each
Sara Lee What Buns $2.49 0.75×3 $0.24
Organic Valley Cream Cheese $2.59 0.75×3 $0.34
Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls x2 $6.00 0.75×6 .30×2 $0.90 or 45 cents each
Old Orchard Apple Juice x2 $6.00 0. 50×6 2/$4 $1 for 2 or $.50 each
Colgate Total Toothpaste $2.99 0.75 x 3 $0.74
Hunts Crushed Tomatoes (28oz) $2.25 $1.26 $0.99
Baby Carrots 1lb $1.89 0 .90 $0.99
Mr. Clean Eraser $3.29 0.75 x3 $1.04
Hillshire Farm Turkey $4.15 0.55×3 0 .65 $1.85
Whole Fruit Bars $3.65 0.50×3 $2.15
Domino Sugar (5 lb bag) $3.85 0 .40 x3 $2.65
Total cost if I paid full price: $54.27
My final price after coupons and discounts: $14.49